Conor McGregor has broken his silence.
The former UFC lightweight and featherweight champ is speaking out for the first time since video surfaced earlier this month of an alleged bar assault, which occurred earlier in April in a pub in McGregor’s homeland of Ireland.
The video, which was first released by TMZ, shows McGregor (21-4 MMA, 9-2 UFC) offering his “Proper 12” whiskey to pub goers. One man sitting at the bar rejects McGregor’s offering. Apparently unwilling to take “no” for an answer, McGregor attempts to get the man to drink again, before striking him with a left punch.
Thursday, McGregor spoke publicly on the incident for the first time in an interview with ESPN. While he did not directly apologize, McGregor admitted he was “in the wrong”. The Irish fighter also claimed to have “made amends” around the time of the incident.
“In reality, it doesn’t matter what happened there,” McGregor said. “I was in the wrong. That man deserved to enjoy his time in the pub without having it end the way it did. Although, five months ago it was, I tried to make amends. And I made amends back then. That doesn’t even matter, I was in the wrong.”
Additionally, McGregor stated his behavior was not what should be expected of an individual of his standing. He spoke on how the incident has motivated him to “get my head screwed on,” so he can get back into the cage and compete once again.
“I have to realize, that’s not the attitude or behavior of a leader or martial artist (or) of a champion,” McGregor said. “I must get my head screwed on and just get back in the cage – fight for redemption, retribution, respect. The things that made me the man I am. And that’s what I will do.”
TMZ’s report stated there has not been any further news past an investigation as to charges being pressed. In a statement to MMA Junkie, Ireland’s Garda confirmed the investigation, but didn’t go into details:
“Garda are investigating an assault incident that occurred at a public house in Drimnagh, Dublin 12, on 6/4/19 at approximately 2:30pm. Investigations ongoing in relation to this incident and no arrests have been made to date,” the statement reads.
The pub incident was not McGregor’s first alleged run in with authorities. In April 2018, McGregor was arrested after he threw a hand truck through the window of a bus carrying UFC fighters in Brooklyn.
In March, McGregor was arrested for grabbing, stomping, and stealing a fan’s phone in Miami, Fla.
McGregor, 31, has not competed since October 2018, when he lost via fourth-round submission to lightweight champ Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229. A post-fight brawl amongst the two teams resulted in numerous suspensions by the Nevada Athletic Commission. McGregor received a six-month suspension, while Nurmagomedov was issued a nine-month suspension.